The Open Dimension

Commentary on social issues; politics; religion and spirituality

My Photo
Name:
Location: Laguna Hills, California, United States

I am a semi-retired psychotherapist/psychiatric social worker and certified hypnotherapist. Originally a practicing attorney, I changed careers during the 1980's. My interests include history, constitutional law, Hindustani classical music, yoga, meditation and spirituality.

Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Get Pope Francis A Puppy !

 
 
 
The following is a statement made by Pope Francis in an interview during the time he was Archbishop of Buenos Aires : 
 
One interesting fact about this paganism….. the amount spent on non-necessities worldwide. Let’s put aside spending on necessary things such as food and medicine. Of those things that are not necessities, or superfluous things, the greatest amount is spent on pets. The most unnecessary spending is made on pets. Pets are idolized. And there’s the idolatry to buy, to rent, to have a feeling to give as I want, where I want, without needing a response, isn’t that true? It’s all a caricature of love. And the second largest amount of money is spent on cosmetology. Cosmetics. I don’t remember exactly the amounts worldwide, but there are millions and millions spent on these two things. Meanwhile the Pope is talking about children who are dying of hunger in underdeveloped continents like Africa, Asia and America. First come pets. And then if there is something left we throw it to the children
 
 
I found the statement quite troubling and recently sent an email to Pope Francis via his private secretary .
 
My email follows  ( I won't hold my breath waiting for a response ! ) :
 
 
Your Holiness :
 
Thank you so much for your visit to the U.S.A. I am confident that your profound spiritual messages to the American people will have a very positive effect on a troubled country.
 
I happened to see an interview on EWTN that you gave when you were Archbishop of Buenos Aires . You were speaking of modern forms of idolatry and mentioned excessive spending on cosmetics and the maintenance of pets .
 
I of agree with your comments on cosmetics , but found the remarks on pets troubling .
 
Many people in the U.S.A. and other nations have pets and find them to be very enjoyable and consoling , particularly for their characteristics of innocence and unconditional love . Moreover , pets can be considered very positive for children since caring for them teaches children responsibility and gentleness .
 
I should also note that animals ,more particularly dogs , provide protection and support for the armed forces and law enforcement and are often loved as pets by those who work with them .
 
Pets are also being used in this country by nursing homes and hospitals as comforters of elderly residents and sick people . They are also employed as helpers of the blind and of disabled persons .
 
My position is that pets are a very valuable part of human life and should be viewed as such .
 
Your Holiness , has your view of pets changed or do you still view having pets as idolatry ?
 
Most respectfully ,
 
Alfred E. McGuire